Match report KCS A Festival - 6 October 2013

A great (tied) Cup Final win for Wimbledon

Struck by fear that parking at a festival would be as difficult as at our own, all boys and parents were pitch side by 9am. We've all learned our lessons there. Being game-ready so early probably led to our sluggish start as whilst we won the first game (vs. Old Reigatians 1) 7-6. It wasn't pretty. Even my notes from the game reflect this. They are poor. I can say that Max Cardosi scored 3, Harry Hubber another 3 and Max Hyatt 1. At a push, I can add that the coaching quartet of JK, Garrick, John and me took them aside afterwards and ran them through tagging boot camp.

Game 2: where we played KCS 2 (they had three teams). Boot camp worked. We won 4-1. Monty led out with a cracking run to inspire the lads. A classic one-two between Ben and Conrad showed our ability to pass with panache (more of this later). JJ had a brilliant run down (but keeping away from, good lad!) the touchline and the scores went to Max C (2), Ben (1) and Guy (1). In an echo of last season, boot camp, following the game, was on the theme of pushing up.

Game 3: where we played KCS again. This was the game where the passes began to flow freely. A highlight being a sweet pass between Harry and Conrad. Max C troubled the scorers once more with a brace and William Hyatt another score for the Hyatt clan. The fourth belonged to Conrad. More work needed on pushing up as two tries were conceded - but the lads were now working on a nice line in a war cry as they advanced with gusto in defence. This should be fun to watch over the season. We won 4-2.

The fourth game was against a highly likeable and impressive Brighton team. The statisticians were predicting a tough fight. They were wrong. Wimbledon's play was free-flowing, agile, thoughtful and, frankly, a privilege to watch. The notes say "end to end", "solid defence". There were passes down the line, another three tries to the hugely hard-working (yes, David Cameron, it is hyphenated) Max Cardosi (and that was just the first half) and another Ben/Conrad link up that worked a treat and led to a try. Harry Hubber, another on-fire player, scored and Conrad picked up a second. 6-3 the final score which, given how good Brighton had been, is all the more impressive.

Having won all games in the league we progressed to the Cup Final. Given how stunning the weather was the tent didn't get a look in to be honest - sorry Dazzer, no major tent-based news today. But we sat around it waiting to see who we would face. Turned out it was the other Reigate team (they brought two and this one was their better one). Anyone at last week's B Festival at home will know that Reigate play a lovely style of rugby much like we do and so the game proved...

The ref said it all really when he told the boys from both sides in his post-match talk that it had been well worth his while leaving home before 7am to take part in the game, such was the high standard of rugby on offer. Fluid passing (with panache), great tagging (Monty and Conrad both with notable tags) and sensible rugby-thinking all led to an entertaining game. Reigate showed us the importance of running onto the ball and running hard; we showed the power of linking together passes. The half ended 2-1 to Reigate; ours coming from Conrad throwing an almighty dummy. Harry scored a brace in the second, Max C his 12th of the day and Conrad caught a peach of a pass from the boy Hubber for our fifth. 5-5 the result and honours rightly shared.

Everyone had a good day today and all the boys should be proud of themselves. Rugby, as the cliché goes, was definitely the winner. The team was Ben, Conrad, Max and William Hyatt, Max Cardosi, JJ, Harry, Monty and Guy. Thanks to all parents/grandparent who turned out; great support today.